Saturday, October 11, 2008

League Championship Time

Bailouts, meltdowns and debates have kept me off the baseball topic for awhile. Also, I was wrong on 3 of the four division series. The only one I got right was the Phillies over the Brewers. Now we are left with Dodgers-Phillies and Red Sox-Rays.
As I write this the Dodgers are down 2-0. I have written them off many times and been wrong, so I am not going to do it again. They are coming back to Dodger Stadium. In Game one they played well enough to win. It was one of those nights where an error and a couple of bad pitches was all it took to turn the game the wrong way. Yesterday, Chad Billingsley just did not have it for the first time in about three months. Every starter has an off day, it is magnified when one happens in October.
In the American League, the Red Sox got off to a good start. I thought the Rays inexperience would hurt them against the White Sox and I was wrong, so I won't count them out now, but you have to think Boston has the advantage here. Remember the days when Boston had not won in 86 years? Now they have become a dominant franchise contending year after year. So much for the Curse.
The World Series that everyone wants to see is Red Sox vs. the Dodgers. Manny Ramirez back in Fenway Park as a visiting player on the world's biggest stage. Also don't forget Derek Lowe and Nomar Garciaparra and their Boston ties and the parting did not end well.
It is the Series we want, but it may not be the one we get...oops, there I go writing them off again!

No comments: