Thursday, October 30, 2008

Yes, they played the World Series

When you look at clips of Word Series games, pre 1980 you notice on thing: daylight. Sunshine, blue sky all the wonderful settings that baseball was mean to be played in.
When I look back at the 2008 Phillies-Rays World Series (not that I really ever will) I will see a white dome or mud and rain. This was the Series that attempted to prove the justification for domed stadiums. That is, if you accept the premise that the World Series should be played at night in late October.
The final game's conclusion was delayed two days. The Rays tied it on Monday and lost it on Wednesday. The image that sticks in my head is B.J. Upton hydroplaning across home plate to tie the score on Tuesday.
Truth be told, I did not see the last four innings on Wednesday. Bad timing. I promised to go out to dinner with the family.
The World Series has ceased to be much of an event. The Super Bowl is almost a national holiday, but the penultimate event for the national past time is almost an afterthought. If your home team is not in it, then who cares? My hometown does not even have an NFL team, yet I will watch the Super Bowl.
I am a baseball die hard so I try to catch some of the World Series, but it just is not something you schedule around.
So what does baseball need to do? I am glad you asked Mr. Commissioner.
First, shorten the playoffs. Cut out the off days when the teams are not traveling. Try to avoid, if at all possible, late October weather on the East Coast. Run, snow and mud make football compelling to watch, but make baseball comical.
Second, throw in a couple of day games. Let's see baseball in the sunshine. Maybe someone will lose a fly ball in the sun rather than the lights. More importantly, kids will get a chance to watch. 8:30 starts on the East Coast mean all of those kids are in bed by game time (or at least the first inning) and most kids on the West Coast can't stay up until the end of the game.
Day baseball in early to mid-October, maybe it will be a Fall Classic again.

No comments: