Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ditching Work

I admit it: I have occasionally slipped out of the office to go play golf or maybe just hang out with the kids. When I do that however, I still have my cell phone with me and I usually check for messages a couple of times. The really important thing is however: I am not the governor of an entire state (or any part of one for that matter).
South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford apparently took a five day "break" from his duties to go to South America this week. He did not tell anyone where he was going. His wife and family apparently did not know where he was, nor did his staff or security detail. Poof, the Governor was gone.
Most states have provisions for the temporary transfer of power when the governor is out of the state. Usually the Lieutenant Governor can exercise power and run the show, but what if nobody really knows the governor is gone? In South Carolina the trip became a story when people started to realize that they had not seen the Governor in a few days. His staff initially said he was hiking here in the U.S., but that has turned out to be untrue. His wife said she did not know where he was.
Stories started to emerge that he likes to "get away" at the end of the legislative session. Fair enough, but it is not too much to ask that the Governor let his staff and security detail know where he is going. Just disappearing is a little strange at best, erratic at worst.
Governor Sanford has been talked up as a potential presidential candidate in 2012. Before he runs, somebody better explain that the President doesn't get to just ditch work for a few days at a time. He cannot go off to clear his head and leave the Vice President in charge. He cannot hop on a commercial flight to South America to hang out for a few days.
Public service is admirable and I am certain it is trying at times. Having reporters follow you around 24/7 has got to be stressful. Still, it is no secret when you run for office that this is the way it is. You don't get to ditch work for a few days.
Next time I take off to play golf however, I might leave the cell phone behind.

No comments: